The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is a “think, do, replicate” tank that investigates digital transformation best practice at the national, regional and global level. We combine practical research with evidence-based advocacy to identify which digital efforts work, package them as re-usable solutions and encourage their use.
DIAL is funded through a collaboration among the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCDO) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
The Insights and Outreach (I&O) team shapes DIAL’s research, policy, communities of practice and communications work for the organization. The team gathers insights from digital development practitioners, curates’ replicable models that can be used to achieve policy objectives consistent with DIAL’s vision and mission and shapes our brand and communications strategy to achieve digital transformation and responsible data use. The I&O team houses all policy research, communities of practice, and communications expertise for the organization.
Within I&O, the communications team works across DIAL to support program groups to shape our communications and brand strategy, market our products and communities of practice, disseminate our publications and raise our profile. The Senior Manager, Communications will be a key member of the DIAL team, responsible for providing strategy and leadership for communications across key initiatives and areas of DIAL’s agenda. The Senior Manager, Communications will collaborate closely with others in the communications team and dedicated teams at DIAL, including DIAL’s Senior and technical Leads, Project Managers and select United Nations Foundation Public Affairs staff, external vendors and consultants, and on joint campaigns with DIAL’s donors and other partners.
Specifically, the Senior Manager, Communications, will support the work of DIAL’s technical team. Work streams that will be supported are described in DIAL’s Digital Beacons Strategy under Objective 3, “Connect Proven Solutions”. The Proven Solutions team contains DIAL’s technical programs including our Catalog of Digital Solutions, our GovStack initiative, and our open source product advocacy. The selected candidate will have strong familiarity with digital technology product marketing and feel comfortable working with highly technical teams. The Senior Manager will report to the Senior Director, Communications and will work closely with the Senior Director, Integrated Delivery who oversees all of DIAL’s technical programs.
This position is remote with preference for Europe, U.K., and U.S.
- Accountable for collaborating with select DIAL teams and programs to set communications strategy for adoption, influence and use of DIAL’s products and messages. Specifically, accountable for support to our Proven Technologies teams and programs, who build powerful test stacks and help the digital development ecosystem better choose and use technologies to achieve its goals
- Leads the development of marketing and communication strategy for DIAL’s Proven Technologies products
- Collaborates closely with technical and communication colleagues to develop and manage the delivery of written materials and brand positioning
- Responsible for leveraging agreed DIAL brand and image guidelines and supporting colleagues to find and use these resources
- Represents DIAL with external partners and at events and conferences
- Manages external vendors (e.g., management consulting firms) supporting DIAL's agenda, including drafting SOWs, assisting with vendor selection, evaluating contract pricing, and managing quality of deliverables
- Tracks Proven Solutions marketing and communications activities, ensuring timely delivery. Candidate proactively manages budget to actuals and troubleshoots risks. Manages vendor agreements. Accountable for ensuring effective collaboration and coordination with UNF communications colleagues, in particular the Public Affairs team
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree required; Master’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience plus demonstrated interest in the UN and international affairs
- 7-10 years relevant experience in a marketing or communications role, including strong writing, editorial and editing skills and the ability to develop engaging content with a technical focus
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of international development and technology, including communicating complex technology concepts to a non-technical audience
- Direct technology product marketing experience preferred
- Experience implementing communications strategies with a digital focus, including experience working with CMS-based websites
- Strong understanding and experience of digital tools and social media, with examples of current and successful uses for corporate communications purposes of blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Successful manager and mentor, able to coach colleagues and contribute to improved practice and performance across the Communications team
- Able to work independently without close supervision
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong creativity and organizational skills
- Strong teamwork and high EQ, with the ability to work well across teams, including collaborating in matrix approaches with multiple small, fast paced teams
- Experience with HTML and Adobe Creative Suite, or another equivalent design software strongly desired
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter – while also contributing to a strong team environment.
- Ascribe to DIAL’s values of Commitment, Collaboration, Empowerment, Courage and Thoughtful Action
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- A writing test is part of the recruitment process for this role
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.